“Commitment in Marine Science, Technology and Innovation”
Over the years, there has been a substantial growth in oceanography and marine science related R&D activities and programs and thus gave rise to a significant number of Malaysian experts in specific fields within the oceanography and marine science disciplines. At this juncture, the country is well-prepared and capable to spearhead collaborations with other leading experts around the world to learn new innovations and discoveries in the oceanography and marine science fi elds for a more sustainable and improved quality of life for all.
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) through the National Oceanography Directorate (NOD) has successfully launched the National Oceanography Data Centre (MyNODC) on the 24th of July 2010, in Kuala Terengganu. The launching ceremony was officiated by YB Tuan Hj. Fadillah Yusof, Deputy Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Currently in Malaysia, there is an imperative need for a central database housing marine and oceanographic data and information. At the moment, most of these data are being stored by various government and non government agencies.
The Objective of MyNODC :
- To develop the national oceanographic and marine science research and design(R&D) policy and agenda.
- To engage in national and international strategic cooperation.
- To maximize the potential output in R&D programs.
- To identify the related generic technology in marine science.
- To strengthen collaboration among local oceanography and marine science communities